Bantry is a bustling market town on the shores of Bantry Bay in West Cork. Overlooking Bantry Bay in the heart of West Cork, the town is situated just over 55miles west of Cork City. It functions as a large Market town providing commercial, retail and tourism/leisure facilities for locals and visitors alike.
Bantry is an important tourism location and is a designated outdoor activity hub in west Cork with a wide variety of activities available all year round. Water sports, horse riding, angling, cycling and, of course, walking are some of the prime outdoor activities available in the area. In 2012 Bantry was the host town for the prestigious Atlantic Challenge, an international contest of seamanship and has a great harbour for water sports of all kind.
With a good range of bars, and restaurants – many of which serve fresh seafood and Bantry Bay mussels – it’s a great base for a stay in West Cork.
The town is the hub for the three West Cork peninsulas: the Beara, Sheep’s Head and Mizen peninsulas can all be explored from Bantry, and it’s close to a number of way-marked walking routes such as the Beara Way and the award winning Sheep’s Head Way with some of the finest walking tracks in Ireland. It’s easy to explore the Sheep’s Head Way, recently designated as a European Destination of Excellence, and the Beara Way, from Bantry where a wide range of high-quality accommodation is available.
To see our list of approved accommodation, please click here
During your stay, why not visit Bantry House – one of the last surviving of Ireland’s Big Houses – or take your pick of locally-produced breads and cheeses at the local farmers’ markets?
Bantry is also host to the nationally acclaimed West Cork Chamber Music Festival, Masters of Tradition Festival and the West Cork Literary Festival.
Bantry Development & Tourism Association
Organising, Promoting & Supporting Festivals & Events on the Wild Atlantic Way
• St Patrick Day Family Celebration 17th March
• Commerate & Celebrate 1916/2016 24th – 28th March
• Bay Run 15th May
• Bantry Hospice Golf Classic at Bantry Golf Club 6th & 7th May
• Bantry Bay Walking Festival 4th – 6th June
• WEST CORK CHAMBER MUSIC FESTIVAL 26th June – 4th JULY
JULY & AUGUST
• WEST CORK LITERARY FESTIVAL 12th – 18th July
• BBQ Festival 29th July - 1st August
• Bantry Art Exhibition 30th July – 9th August
• MASTERS OF TRADITION FESTIVAL 19th – 23rd August
• BANTRY AGRICULTURAL SHOW 6th SEPTEMBER
• Chief O Neill TRADITIONAL MUSIC FESTIVAL 11th – 13th Sept
• WESTLODGE HOTEL FASTNET RALLY & Halloween Festival 30th & 31st Oct.
• New Year Family Gathering 31ST DECEMBER
A Taste of West Cork Festivals & Events on the Wild Atlantic Way